Climate Action Plan for Transportation Infrastructure (CAPTI)
On March 10, 2021, the California State Transportation Agency (CalSTA) unveiled the draft Climate Action Plan for Transportation Infrastructure (CAPTI). The plan details how the state recommends investing billions of discretionary transportation dollars annually to aggressively combat and adapt to climate change while supporting public health, safety and equity. CAPTI builds on executive orders signed by Governor Gavin Newsom in 2019 and 2020 targeted at reducing greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions in transportation, which account for more than 40 percent of all emissions, to reach the state's ambitious climate goals.
CalSTA developed the draft CAPTI through collaboration with many different state agencies, along with extensive outreach and engagement with hundreds of stakeholders, during the past 18 months. The draft was available for public feedback through May 19, 2021. In response to public feedback, CalSTA released the CAPTI Revisions Memo, which outlines how the Final CAPTI addresses the feedback that has been received. The Final CAPTI was adopted on July 12, 2021.
- Final Adopted CAPTI (July 2021) (PDF)
- Draft CAPTI (March 2021) (PDF)
- CAPTI Press Release (July 12, 2021)
- CAPTI Frequently Asked Questions
Summary of Feedback
- CAPTI Revisions Memo (PDF)
- Public Comments Letters on draft CAPTI
- Public Comment Log for draft CAPTI (Excel file)
CalSTA released the final CAPTI Annual Report on December 21, 2022. The CAPTI Annual Report details progress on implementation of the 34 CAPTI key action items in the first year since the plan release. The state has completed or made substantial progress on 88% of these actions.
The draft CAPTI Annual Report was released for public feedback from October 3, through November 4, 2022. CalSTA hosted a virtual webinar on October 6, 2022, to discuss the draft CAPTI Annual Report and CAPTI implementation. In response to public feedback, CalSTA released the CAPTI Annual Report Public Comment Log and responses as appropriate.
- Final CAPTI Annual Report (December 2022) (PDF)
- Draft CAPTI Annual Report (October 2022) (PDF)
- Draft CAPTI Annual Report Press Release (October 3, 2022)
- October 6, 2022 CAPTI Annual Report Webinar Presentation (PDF)
- Public Comment Log and Responses on draft annual report (Excel)
CAPTI builds on executive orders signed by Governor Gavin Newsom in 2019 and 2020 targeted at reducing greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions in transportation, which account for more than 40 percent of all polluting emissions, to reach the state's ambitious climate goals.
- EO N-19-19 directs CalSTA to leverage discretionary state transportation funds to reduce GHG emissions in the transportation sector and adapt to climate change.
- EO N-79-20 reaffirms the state's commitment to implementing EO N-19-19, and sets a date no later than July 15, 2021, for CalSTA to "identify near term actions, and investment strategies, to improve clean transportation, sustainable freight and transit options, while continuing a 'fix-it-first' approach to our transportation system."
State transportation funds - including revenue collected under Senate Bill (SB) 1, the Road Repair and Accountability Act of 2017 - must be used solely on transportation. As outlined in SB 1, California will continue the "fix-it-first" approach to maintaining the state's highways, roads and bridges. Under CAPTI, where feasible and within existing funding program structures, the state will invest discretionary transportation funds in sustainable infrastructure projects that align with its climate, health and social equity goals.
Climate Action throughout the Administration
California Department of Transportation (Caltrans)
- Active Transportation Program (ATP)
- California State Bike and Pedestrian Plan (PDF)
- California Transportation Plan 2050 (CTP 2050)
- California Sustainable Freight Action Plan
- Low Carbon Transit Operations Program (LCTOP)
California Air Resources Board (CARB)
California Strategic Growth Council
- December 2, 2021 Implementation Webinar (YouTube link)
- December 2, 2021 Implementation Webinar Presentation (PDF)
- March 18, 2021 Workshop Recording (YouTube link)
- March 18, 2021 Workshop Presentation (PDF)
- March 18, 2021 Workshop Summary (PDF)
- CTC-CARB-HCD Joint Meeting Presentation on Draft Plan: April 8, 2021 (YouTube link)
- CTC Workshop #1: April 20, 2021 (YouTube link)
- Public Health Workgroup Meeting (CDPH/CARB): April 22, 2021 (YouTube link)
- CTC Workshop #2: April 23, 2021 (YouTube link)
- October 20, 2020 Workshop Summary (PDF)
- October 20, 2020 Workshop Recording (YouTube link)
- October 20, 2020 Workshop Presentation (PDF)
- Autonomous Vehicles Strategic Framework
- Broadband Deployment
- CalSTA Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (IIJA) Implementation
- Climate Action Plan for Transportation Infrastructure (CAPTI)
- Enforcement and Safety
- Freight, Rail and Border
- State Rail Assistance Program
- Transit and Intercity Rail Capital Program
- Transportation Funding in California
- Transportation and Housing Coordination
- Tribal Relations
- USDOT Emerging Projects Agreement