The California State Transportation Agency (CalSTA) is committed to promoting and protecting the privacy rights of individuals, as enumerated in Article 1 of the California Constitution, the Information Practices Act of 1977, and other state and federal laws.
“Personal information” is information about a natural person that identifies or describes an individual, including, but not limited to, his or her name, social security number, physical description, home address, home telephone number, education, financial matters, and medical or employment history, readily identifiable to that specific individual. A domain name or Internet Protocol address is not considered personal information; however, it is considered to be California State Transportation Agency electronically collected personal information.
According to Government Code § 11015.5, “electronically collected personal information” means any information that is maintained by an agency that identifies or describes an individual user, including, but not limited to, his or her name, social security number, physical description, home address, home telephone number, education, financial matters, medical or employment history, password, electronic mail address, and information that reveals any network location or identity, but excludes any information manually submitted to a State agency by a user, whether electronically or in written form, and information on or relating to individuals who are users, serving in a business capacity, including, but not limited to, business owners, officers, or principals of that business.
“Electronically collected personal information” means any electronically collected personal information that we collect, including your domain name or Internet Protocol address, and statistical information about which web pages you visit. If you voluntarily participate in an activity that asks for specific information (i.e., completing a request for assistance, personalizing the content of the website, sending an email, or participating in a survey) more detailed data will be collected. If you choose not to participate in these activities, your choice will probably not affect your ability to use any other feature of the website.
If any type of personal information is requested on the website or volunteered by the users, it is governed by state law, including California Civil Code section 1798 et seq., Government Code 11015.5, the California Public Records Act, and the Federal Privacy Act. This information may become a public record once it is provided and except for California State Transportation Agency electronically collected information, it may be subject to public inspection and copying if not otherwise protected by federal or state law. However, some information we collect is confidential, which may include but is not limited to social security numbers, medical information, and financial or employment data. Confidential information is protected, and it will only be disclosed pursuant to a legal process or as otherwise required by law. Personal information will not be disclosed, made available, or otherwise used for purposes other than those specified, except with the consent of the subject of the data, or as authorized by law or regulation.
The California State Transportation Agency adheres to the following principles in connection with the collection and management of personal information:
- The California State Transportation Agency collects personal information on individuals only as allowed by law. The Agency limits the collection of personal information to what is relevant and necessary to accomplish a lawful purpose. For example, the Agency may need to know an individual’s home address, email address, or telephone number, in order to answer the individual’s questions or in order to provide requested assistance.
- The California State Transportation Agency does not collect home, business or email addresses, or account information from persons who simply browse the Agency’s Internet website. Personal information about individuals is collected through the Agency’s website only if an individual provides such information to the Agency voluntarily through email, registration forms, surveys, or other method. This information will be used to facilitate in responding to the person or to improve the content or navigation of the website. The information collected in this manner is not subject to requests made pursuant to the Public Records Act, and site visitors may request to have their information discarded without reuse or distribution.
- The California State Transportation Agency uses Google Analytics to help improve the website. Automatic collection of Information/Cookies. Cookies are simple text files stored on your computer by your web browser. Google tracking cookies may be used to provide information to Google Analytics. Our website may use Google Analytics to track website statistics. Google tracking code used by every website or application that employs Google Analytics, stores information that identifies device IP addresses, but our website is anonymizing that information and only part of device IP addresses are being used. Consequently, no information identifying you or your device is being stored at Google via our utilization of Google Analytics implementation. You can find out more about Google Analytics anonymized IP addresses by clicking here. In addition, the following are a list of third-party cookies being used:
If you do nothing during your visit to the website but browse or download information, we automatically collect and store the following information about your visit:
- A partial Internet Protocol address and domain name is collected, but not the email address. The partial Internet Protocol address is used to direct Internet traffic to you without identifying you individually and generate statistics used in the management of this website.
- The type of browser and operating system you used.
- The date and time you visited this website.
- The web pages or services you accessed at this website.
- The website you visited prior to coming to this website.
- The website you visit as you leave this website, and
- If you downloaded a form, the form that was downloaded.
The information we automatically collect, or store is used to improve the content of our web services and to help us understand how people are using our services. This information does not identify you personally and is used for gathering website statistics. The information we automatically collect and store in our logs about your visit helps us to analyze our website to continually improve the value of the materials available. Our website logs do not identify a visitor by personal information, and we make no attempt to link other websites with the individuals that browse the Agency’s website. Individuals have the right to have any electronically collected personal information deleted by the Agency, without reuse or distribution by using Contact Page.
Electronically collected personal information is exempt from requests made under the Public Records Act.
Government Code § 11015.5 prohibits all state agencies from distributing or selling any electronically collected personal information, as defined above, about users to any third party without the permission of the user. The Agency does not sell any electronically collected personal information. Any distribution of electronically collected personal information will be solely for the purposes for which it was provided to us.
The Agency may provide or distribute certain lists and statistical reports of regulatory information as provided by law, but no personal information is sold or distributed, and all relevant legal protections still apply to the Agency’s website.