Freight, Rail and Border
The California State Transportation Agency works with our departments and partner agencies at the local, regional and federal level to create a safe, integrated and efficient transportation system that brings California closer to meeting binational trade, economic and environmental objectives.
Port and Freight Infrastructure Program
The 2022-23 state budget included $1.2 billion for a one-time Port and Freight Infrastructure Program to help ease supply chain congestion and increase the capacity to move goods in California. The program seeks to improve the capacity, safety, efficiency and resilience of goods movement to, from and through California’s maritime ports, while also reducing greenhouse gas emissions and harmful impacts to communities adjacent to the corridors and facilities used for goods movement.
These improvements are critical to enhancing and modernizing the multimodal freight transportation system, growing the economic competitiveness of California’s freight sector, promoting transportation equity, reducing freight-related deaths and injuries, and improving system resilience by addressing infrastructure vulnerabilities associated with security threats, climate change and natural disasters.
CalSTA Award Announcement: July 6, 2023
U.S. Congressional Support Letters
Additional resources below to learn more about these subject areas.
- California Freight Mobility Plan 2020
- California Sustainable Freight Action Plan
- Air Resources Board
- California High-Speed Rail
- California State Rail Assistance Program
- California State Rail Plan
- Division of Rail and Mass Transportation – California Department of Transportation
- California-Mexico Border Relations Council
- News release: California, Mexico pledge enhanced collaboration on future port of entry (June 28, 2021)
- Autonomous Vehicles Strategic Framework
- Broadband Deployment
- CalSTA Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (IIJA) Implementation
- Climate Action Plan for Transportation Infrastructure (CAPTI)
- Enforcement and Safety
- Freight, Rail and Border
- SB 125 Transit Program
- State Rail Assistance Program
- Transit and Intercity Rail Capital Program
- Transportation Funding in California
- Transportation and Housing Coordination
- Tribal Relations
- USDOT Emerging Projects Agreement